Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The beginning of the end


The kids came home from four days with bio-dad and Emma made a beeline for me to show me that she was a tooth poorer and a dollar richer. Not only that, but I'm fairly certain that she grew three inches and gained 5 pounds while she was gone. (If she didn't, than I know I did)

It just made me a little sad, like this was the last part of her baby-ness, and now it's gone. She'll loose her teeth, grow adult ones, start worrying about what boys think of her, spend colossal amounts of time on the phone with girlfriends, and then go off to college. AND I WILL HAVE TO LET HER GO. I will wake up one day and she won't be down the hall. Instead of nodding absentmindedly at her chatter at lunch, I will be the mother calling her up daily, desperate to hear snippets from her life.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh, Caroline, this post made me cry! What a loving mama you are!

c o u r t n e y said...

She looks a whole year older just from that last photo you took of her wiggling her tooth! What happened?? I am pretty sure every Momma knows exactly how you felt when writing this.